What does it really mean? Environmentally Sustainable Development.
This is nothing to do with climate change although, in my opinion, actioning most of these points contributes significantly to reduce the impact of climate change.
Some large strides have been made since the dreaded days of the 1970s:
- New projects require ESD statements and calculations and these pro formers are becoming tighter
- Harvesting of rainwater reducing public pipes and development pipes
- Significantly heavier insulation
- Double glazing
- Thorough consideration of orientation
- Better connection of private indoor and outdoor spaces
On the other hand other things have slid backwards:
- Recycling seems to be totally disorganised
Where to from here?
- Plant more trees and foliage
- Use more public transport
- Use electric vehicles
- Produce vegetables and fruit from our private gardens
- Generate more electricity in our homes, townhouses and apartments
- More insulation
- Sealing gaps
- Using electricity generated by recyclables such as solar, wind, and hydro
- Geothermal heating and cooling
- Eliminating airborne pollutants from various chemicals
- Harvesting more rainwater
- Treating sewerage more locally